Happy National Zucchini Bread Day!
Why this day is on April 25th and not in July when we all have more zucchini than we know what to do with, I have no idea. But here we are.
I remember my mother baking zucchini bread, laden with white flour and lots of refined sugar. The smell greeting me as I came home from school.
All we didn’t know about nutrition back then!
When I bake for my family now I try to use the most wholesome and least processed ingredients possible, and I’ve worked really hard to cut back on sugar over the years. Reducing sugar has been one of the most beneficial things I’ve done for my health! It helped me get a handle on PCOS and go on to conceive multiple times and always makes me feel better.
Here’s my go-to recipe for healthy zucchini bread
Homemade "Healthier" Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups whole white wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice or cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup honey
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease bread pan.
- Stir together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add in the butter, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, combine, and add the zucchini and any optional ingredients.
- Spread into pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. The trick is to check it early so that you don't overcook it!
I’ve found that using coconut oil and adding the applesauce, it adds a slight sweetness to the bread without having to use a ton of sugar. If you are just beginning to make more wholesome foods, or you have a husband (or kids!) resistant to change, try adding just a bit more sugar (not honey as it will affect the texture of the bread).
You can then begin to decrease the amount over time, allowing taste-buds to change and your family members will never notice.
For a time my family was completely grain-free, but we still wanted some semblance of normalcy in our diet now and again. This grain-free version I started making sure hit the spot! Made mostly with almond flour, the flavor profile is very different from when made with wheat and it’s a denser bread. We loved both of these recipes though!
Grain-Free Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour finely ground
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice or substitute cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup raisins or chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease one bread pan.
- Stir together all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add in the honey, butter, and applesauce.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and add zucchini and any optional ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Bake for 45 minutes, a few minutes past a toothpick coming out clean.