Healthier whole grain pancakes (includes gluten free options)
Changing my diet to include less processed foods and more foods made from home helped give my body the nutrients I needed to balance my hormones and start ovulating regularly. But finding new recipes that used good-for-me ingredients AND tasted good was tricky at first. Most of my recipe book used a lot of white flour! These whole grain pancakes are super easy to make though and take only a few minutes of prep time.
You can even mix them up the night before to help make them even easier for the body to digest (this method is considered “soaking grains” in the traditional food movement).
A few months ago I was making our gluten-free pancakes one weekend and ran out of my favorite GF flour blend. I started to wonder about my whole grain rice and millet in the back of the cupboard. – why had I never thought to use my whole grains in the blender?!
Could I “grind” whole grains in my blender?
I’ve been testing different grain varieties every weekend or two and I think I finally found a quick and easy way to make traditionally soaked pancakes! These can easily be made gluten-free by refraining from gluten-containing grains (wheat, spelt, rye).
If you use a quality Greek-style yogurt, it also adds a nice amount of protein!
Top these with some butter and maple syrup. Better yet, grab some berries, smash them, and cook over low heat while you make a batch of these – then serve with butter and fruit!
Whole Grain Pancakes
- 2 cups whole grains wheat berries, rice, oats, millet, flax
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp oil or melted butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Combine the grains, yogurt, and milk in the blender and blend until smooth (depending on your blender this may take up to 5 minutes. Place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, add remaining ingredients and blend just until combined.
- Cook pancakes on medium heat until lightly browned, flip over and until cooked throughout.
- Top as desired.