The cherry tomatoes have such a nice sweet flavor, it really goes quite well with the spice of salsa.
Now the first time I made it (pictured) I cut them all up by hand. *whew that was a lot of cutting* The next time I made it I just threw a handful at a time into the food processor. Not only were the chunks smaller, it went much faster!
We love this stuff and go through quarts of it a week when I can make it fresh from our garden.
- about 5 cups of whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 small to medium onion (or half of a large onion) (red onions are fantastic in this)
- 3-5 jalapenos, no seeds (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1-3 clove minced garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ -1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (again, depending on spice)
- optional – handful of fresh, chopped cilantro
- Cut, chop, and mix everything together.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes, but it’s best if the flavors work themselves together overnight.
If you’re going to use the salsa within a few days – add 2 Tbsp whey in the salsa and set out on the counter for about 8 hours or overnight. Chill and enjoy.
If you plan on keeping this in cold storage for some time – up the sea salt to about 1 Tbsp and add in 4 Tbsp of whey. Let sit out for at least 24 hours, up to 48 hours. Chill and store.
Like this recipe? Check out the “Recipes Page” for more!