Summer breakfast smoothie
Oh, happy day! We finally made it to summer and to celebrate, I’m making a delicious summer breakfast smoothie.
I mean really. I spend a good 4 months buried in snow every year, along with an up and down slow warm up to spring…I am just about as giddy as you can get to finally be in flip flops – and back to having a wide array of summer produce to fill up my menu for the week!
Smoothies make great, cool breakfasts to start your hot summer days, and boy can you load them up with fun summer goodies from the garden!
I think most people think of summer berries when it comes to smoothies, but I’m gonna switch gears and encourage you to try something different. Cantaloupe is loaded with vitamin C and good fiber and gives a refreshing flavor to change things up!
And since we are all making a commitment to more veggies at every meal, I’ve loaded this smoothie up with some of the best of summer. There are so many benefits to consuming beets – but what about those greens that are so easy to just toss away? Beet greens are full of nutrients like magnesium and vitamin B, and also have more iron for energy than spinach! I promise you won’t feel like you are eating grass… the cantaloupe flavor shines through!
And since cantaloupe gives a fun orange color, I like to make the orange color pop even more with carrots – it is just more appealing to eat something that looks delicious, isn’t it?
- 5 ice cubes
- ½ cup whole plain yogurt (If you are dairy free use coconut yogurt or coconut milk)
- 1 ½ cups cubed cantaloupe (I like to put them in the freezer the night before so my smoothie is extra cold!)
- 1 small carrot, quartered
- 3 stalks of beet greens (any greens will work here)
- 1 pastured egg yolk (if you are egg free just leave it out)
- 2-3 tsp cold soluble grass-fed gelatin
- 1 TB raw honey
- Everything into your blender and blend until smooth.
So happy summer! I hope this breakfast smoothie pulls you out of your smoothie comfort zone and helps you explore the farmer’s market in a whole new way!
For more amazing drink recipes, follow our whole foods board on Pinterest!