Stuffed tomatoes are not only a nice change from normal vegetable side dishes, they’re a festive looking dish this time of year as well. Paired with both quinoa and spinach, they become a nutritional powerhouse and along with many of the other ingredients, help support your body in cleansing the liver naturally.
Recipe: Quinoa and Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes
- 8-10 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-1/2 pound fresh spinach chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. *
- Core and stem tomatoes, scoop out seeds and some of the flesh.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan, add onion and saute until transparent. Add garlic and saute for one minute.
- Turn heat down to low, add spinach and cover for just a minute until the leaves of the spinach wilt. Turn off heat, add quinoa, eggs, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the quinoa/spinach mixture into each tomato. (you may need to trim a bit off the bottom of the tomato in order for it to stand straight)
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve.
This recipe was inspired by the Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes at Almanac.com