Summer Salad with Strawberries
Summer weather is finally here in Michigan and the first few weeks in June signal strawberry season! Normally eaten plain or in one of many desserts, they also pair beautifully with a bed of greens. I’ve craved this salad since getting my first taste of it when Jodi from JodiMichelle.com made it for lunch at a get together last summer. It combines the sweet flavor of strawberries, the crunch of soaked and dehydrated nuts, creaminess and tangy taste of goat cheese all with a healthy dressing and plenty of greens.
Full of flavor, this bright and crisp salad is sure to be a family favorite!
This salad also looks fancy enough to make for a party, but it’s so simple that you’ll be whipping it together for any weeknight dinner. Perfect light lunch for hot summer days, or use it as a side with your weekend barbecues!
Spinach Salad with Strawberries
- ½ cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 4 cups spinach or mixed salad greens
- ¼ cup pecans or cashews
- 2 Tbsp goat cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 pinch poppy seeds (1/8 tsp)
- Wash and chop a bowlful of baby spinach.
- Top with strawberries, nuts, and cheese. Change up the amounts as needed, this salad is very versatile!
- Mix together the oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and a pinch of poppy seeds. Drizzle over salad.
One great tip, if you’re serving this to others, is to mix the salad with the dressing (save a few strawberries, cheese crumbles, and nuts to sprinkle back on top for aesthetics). This helps make sure that your guests get a serving of salad that isn’t dry and void of dressing!
You can also use spinach or arugula instead of the salad greens, I simply prefer the varied taste of the salad greens.