The bounty of summer produce has begun to show up in our farms here in Michigan, one of my favorites is the simple, red strawberry. And while so delightful on its own, sometimes I just can’t keep myself from pairing it with other delicious ingredients.
This recipe I’m rather unsure of what to call it. It includes cream, but it’s not ice cream. It includes fruit but it’s not technically a sorbet. In reality, it came from needing to make breakfast but I was tired of eggs and oatmeal.
And this made a wonderful breakfast.
This fresh, yet creamy, treat has been a hit both times I’ve made this strawberry and cream sorbet – though we like the addition of lemon a bit more than the lime.
Strawberries and Cream Sorbet
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 cups cold fresh strawberries halved
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cold cream you could also substitute yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract optional if you freeze it after making
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. (make sure your ingredients are already cold, otherwise you'll have to thoroughly chill before putting it into your ice cream maker)
- Pour into your ice cream maker and let it churn until it's done, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Either serve immediately or place into the freezer to harden and become scoopable.
- I'm also sure that you could make this without an ice cream maker, just freeze the mixture after you blend it and stir every half hour or so.
*This recipe does include raw egg so please take precautions and only use eggs from a trusted source. If you prefer a cooked version, lightly beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl, heat the cream until it steams and slowly pour it into the yolks while stirring. Chill for at least 2 hours before making the rest of the recipe
Hi! This looks like a great recipe. Is it okay to use the whole egg instead of just the yolk? I hate wasting half the egg
@Shalonne, I’ve never tried a whole egg in ice cream before. Every recipe I come across usually just calls for the yolk, so that’s all I’ve ever done! Plus the whites kind of gross me out. lol
If you try it – let me know!
I just came upon your website today. I just happend to have all the ingrediants for this. Yum!