Everyone has a friend that has “THAT” recipe. You know the one, the recipe that is soooo good that she has to give it out whenever she brings it to a potluck or people don’t leave her alone? All of my friends (and I) absolutely love my friend Kerry’s Tinga recipe. Her tinga is fantastic and everyone should make it at least once.
A while back I combined it with a Mexican soup we already loved.
And all was well in the world.
This soup is great any time of the year and great with your favorite taco toppings as well as tortilla chips.
You can make it with either a whole chicken or leftovers from a previously roasted chicken. One trick I’ve recently learned is to cook chicken breasts and put them in my KitchenAid mixer to “shred” them. It works like a charm! If you go that route, use 2 chicken breasts.
Mexican Chicken Soup with lime
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 8-10 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 green cabbage sliced thin
- 2 chicken breasts shredded (you need 3 cups total)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- 2 limes juiced
- optional toppings sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook chicken until no longer pink. Shred and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot and saute the onion and cabbage on medium-low heat until they are wilted. Add the garlic and continue to saute for 1 minute.
- Blend tomato sauce, chiles, and chile sauce in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add to pot with the veggies.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaves. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice and season to taste. Serve with optional toppings.
Eating for hormone balance doesn’t mean you’re stuck with bland or boring foods! This soup is a fantastic way to up the flavor of your meals while still sticking to fertility diet ideals.