A wonderfully satisfying meal during the chilly fall and winter months, homemade chili can nourish the body and bring the family together. From slightly spicy to 5 alarm chili, this meal is what cooking contests are made of!
Actually, I’ve won two of our family chili contests over the last 4 years. Once with my white chicken chili, and last fall with a roasted garlic and caramelized onion version using shredded beef.
Our basic recipe feeds our family well, offering enough spice for the adults but not to warm for the children. If you like a bit more spice, try a hotter pepper than Anaheim, like jalapenos, or sprinkle in some red pepper flakes.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 cups chili/kidney beans or 3 15oz cans
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Anaheim peppers chopped
- 1 <g class="gr_ gr_46 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="46" data-gr-id="46">medium sized</g> onion chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/8 cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Brown ground beef in <g class="gr_ gr_52 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="52" data-gr-id="52">large</g> stock pot
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- The longer you simmer, the better it will taste!
Use <g class="gr_ gr_41 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="41" data-gr-id="41">grassfed</g> beef
Make your own beef broth
Soak the beans overnight in water and an acidic medium to reduce phytic acid