Chicken Nuggets seem to be an American staple, especially for kids. But I don’t like the fact that I don’t really know whats in them, what fillers are used, or what part of the chicken we’re actually eating so I’ve decided to make my own!
I actually like these quite a bit, as do my hubby and kiddo. Can be baked ahead of time and frozen for quick dinners later. If baking from a frozen state, bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or so. And I’m also fairly certain you could fry these up to if you’d like, but I stick to baking them.
- 1 large egg
- 1 large spoonful of mayo (or use a second egg)
- 2 cups of cooked chicken (in large chunks)
- ½ small onion
- ¼ cup or so of shredded cheese (I normally just toss in a handful)
- optional: ¼ -1/2 cup thawed frozen spinach or leftover cooked veggies (broccoli works great too)
- ¾ to 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs or almond flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease pan with butter.
- Pulse chicken, onion, salt, and pepper in a food processor until finely chopped. (pulse. If you hold it down it will turn into a rubbery gross mess that you will not want to eat!)
- Add chicken mixture to eggs and mayo and stir until combined (I was gonna take a picture as I went along, but seriously, it’s not the prettiest thing at this point.)
- Add in cheese and veggies.
- Shape into nuggets and roll in bread crumbs.
- Bake for bout 18 minutes (turn them over halfway through to brown on both sides)
- Can be baked ahead of time and frozen for quick dinners later. If baking from frozen state, bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or so.