The benefits of taking cod liver oil are many, especially for those looking to conceive, and while not everyone experiences major (or minor) health changes while taking it, finding a good source is a must.
My source of choice is always the fermented cod liver oil from Green Pastures – and not just because they are an advertiser here this month. I found this company a couple of years ago and briefly met Dave Wetzel (the owner) at Wise Traditions in 2009. They truly are a small family run operation and adamant about offering a superior product, the only traditionally fermented cod liver oil on the market. I’ve taken their fermented CLO ever since and have found it to be superior to other products.
I’m not going to lie – it can be pricey, but isn’t anything of great quality worth more?
Their purity standards:
- The fish used in our Fermented Cod Liver oil and Skate Liver oil are exclusively wild caught in and around the Arctic region. A substantial amount of today’s cod liver oil is produced from farmed fish.
- Green Pastures is committed to providing our community with nothing but pure, unadulterated, non-industrialized fermented fish liver oils using traditional or sacred production methods that have been in use for thousands of years.
- We guarantee we will not compromise our products’ nutrient quality and integrity by any industrial means that will damage or remove flavors, odors, colors, textures and/or nutrients.
- We exclusively use third party testing for our products.
I feel good about the product I receive from them!
How to Take It
A couple of weeks ago I lead one of our local Weston A Price chapter meetings on Nourishing Our Children and in the Q&A afterward one of the questions that kept coming up was “how do you take it?”
Because the capsule are more expensive, many decide to try the the oil in one of the many flavors. And because it’s not just cod liver oil, it’s fermented cod liver oil with all the tastes and colors left alone to preserve nutrients, sometimes it’s a bit hard to swallow. Literally.
To many folks I know have tried to mix it in with smoothies. Do. Not. Do. This. You’re only making one swallow-full of “grin and bear it” turn into a whole glass full.
A few things that do work:
- Mix with an ounce of orange juice and ‘take a shot’! This works well with the unflavored, orange, cinnamon, and Mediterranean flavors.
- Place a dollop of honey on top of the CLO on a spoon and swallow fast. Works well with the chocolate and mint flavored oils.
- Depending on the batches and your own preference you can refrigerate or freeze the oils to gain a different texture. My kids prefer ours (I buy the chocolate cream fermented cod liver oil/butter oil combo) slightly thickened in the refrigerator. I just use a small baby sized spoon and they both get a spoonful during breakfast.
- Take the capsules. Seriously. I have a hard time with the oils and gels but can pop a pill no problem! In my thinking, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s better for me to take a smaller amount of great quality oil than none at all.
*and yes – I did try all of the cod liver oil flavors sitting out on the table at Wise Traditions!
*also – I greatly prefer the high vitamin butter oil/fermented cod liver oil combos. The mix of the two offers the most benefit!