Chocolate Strawberry-Coconut Hearts
With only a few real-food ingredients, this gluten, egg, dairy, and refined sugar-free Chocolate Covered Strawberry Coconut Hearts are one candy you won’t mind indulging in.
I think I might have a sweet tooth.
Taking a look at my recipe index clearly depicts the tendencies of someone (slightly) obsessed with anything chocolate.
But you might be surprised to learn that as much as I love sweets, I’m not much of a candy fan. Reason being: it’s usually full of a few ingredients that I don’t appreciate:
- gobs of refined sugar (guaranteed to attack and compromise your immune system)
- GMO corn and/or soy
- flavors and colors produced in labs, not in nature
Thankfully for those of us with a sweet tooth, but who don’t want to wreck our immune systems, there are sweets like these easy and delicious Chocolate Covered Strawberry Coconut Hearts. They’re free of everything on my aforementioned list of no-nos and full of healthy sweetness!
Homemade Candy to the Rescue!
After going gluten-free, homemade candy became my go-to snack, replacing crackers and pretzels. My freezer is regularly stocked with Peanut Butter Chocolate Freezer Fudge, Peanut Butter Vanilla Protein Truffles, or Chocolate Coconut Bars. And while snacking on candy might be an issue if you like M&Ms, I prefer to make my candies as healthy as possible, so that I can eat them guilt-free!
These beautiful little hearts are not only healthy enough for snacking, they’re sweet enough for nice dessert! With simple, easy-to-find ingredients, they’re not a chore to whip up either (another one of my candy requirements).
Even though I made them in super-cute little heart molds (found here) for a fun Valentines-y treat, they can just as easily be made into little balls. And they don’t have to be made with strawberry jam, either – any jam will do!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry-Coconut Hearts
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Coconut Hearts
- 1/4 c. coconut oil
- 1/2 c. strawberry preserves I used Costco's organic
- 2 T. chia seeds optional
- 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- heart shaped candy molds optional
- Chocolate Glaze
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/4 c. cocoa powder
- dash salt
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- Combine base ingredients and press into candy molds or shape into balls.
- Freeze until set.
- Combine glaze ingredients over low heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Dip frozen Strawberry Coconut Hearts into melted chocolate mixture until covered.
- Set on a plate and return to freezer to solidify.