One of my favorite things about making homemade granola, or homemade granola bars, is that the flavors are so easy to change. This new version I’ve come up with gets the thumbs up from everyone in my household and makes a great snack when needed, can top yogurt, or even pair well in a bowl with milk.
Recipe: Chocolate Cranberry Nut Granola
- 1 cup almonds
- 1.5 cups sunflower seeds
- 1.5 cups peanuts
- 1 cup walnuts
- for best nutrition, and ease in digestion, soak and dehydrate all nuts and seeds
- 3 Tbsp cocoa or carob powder
- 1 Tbsp dried coconut
- 1.5 cups dried cranberries
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup sucanat
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan and add in honey, sucanat, vanilla, and salt.
- While the sugar mixture is simmering (the longer you boil, the harder the bars) chop all nuts and seeds in a food processor, leaving them in large chunks.
- Add in cocoa and coconut.
- Pulse until well combined.
- Pour into a large bowl and stir in cranberries.
- Once the sugar mixture has boiled to your liking (a few minutes for softer bars, a few minutes more for crunchy bars or loose granola) pour over the nuts and seeds.
- Stir to combine.
- For bars, press into a greased 9×13 pan, let cool , then cut.
- For granola, increase the seeds and nuts by 1 cup, spread loosely over 2 large pans and allow to cool. Break and place into a storage container.
- *The types of nuts used can also vary based on your own personal tastes as well as what you have in your cupboard!