Spaghetti is one dish that my husband loves, and I routinely make it for him, having pasta night about once a week or so. I’ve gotten my regular spaghetti sauce recipe down to a science, but sometimes I crave something a bit different.
And this BLT spaghetti hits the spot!
For awhile we went completely grain-free (primal/paleo-ish) and definitely missed eating homemade spaghetti. But when even gluten-free noodles are out of the question, it gets pretty hard to make. Until I found spaghetti squash! It takes just a bit more time to make, simply because the squash takes longer to cook than a box of pasta, but you can easily pop it in the oven or a pot of water and walk away for a while.
The sauce is easy to make using fresh ingredients and the bacon gives it wonderful flavor. I actually prefer the flavor of the spaghetti squash with this sauce (instead of regular pasta), and as an added benefit, I get some varied nutrition into my family.
My husband doesn’t love this recipe as much as I do, so I only make it every few months. For me it’s a pleasant variation from our normal. Todd on the other hand despises change!
And don’t forget to add the greens! As you can see from my photo, I forgot to buy them when I made it that time around.
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 1 lb Nitrate free bacon
- approx 4 c. cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 shakes red pepper flakes
- 1 c. homemade broth or water if you don't have it
- 3-4 c. arugula
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
- grated Parmesan to taste
- Roast tomatoes for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned in a 300 degree oven. At the same time, cook spaghetti squash (boil whole for 25 minutes, bake whole for 50-60minutes) Fry bacon and set aside.
- Chop onion and mince garlic. Saute onion in 2 Tbsp butter or oil for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add minced garlic and saute for an extra 2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, pepper flakes, and broth.
- Add in basil and arugula (you can use another green if you have it on hand, the flavor will just be a bit different). Break bacon into small pieces and add as well.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Using a fork, scrape out the ‘meat’ of the squash. It shreds just like spaghetti noodles!
- Top with tomato and bacon sauce. And freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
*For those not sensitive to wheat you can easily prepare this for over any type of regular wheat pasta!