Every once in a while I go through a season of life where at home is where it’s at.
Whether it’s during a season of tight budgets, or a season of healing where restaurant food just isn’t going to cooperate with the eating plan, sometimes having some really great celebration food in my back pocket is really helpful.
Everyone deserves to celebrate the things (and people!) that are important to them! I also think everyone deserves to have a treat, even if you are trying to stay away from processed food.
I adore this French silk pie for a couple of reasons.
The biggest one being that I am *not* a baker. I completely and fully admit to that. I don’t make a lot of dessert in my house, and frankly I am just not comfortable with it! I have a fool-proof gluten-free pie crust though that is super easy to work with and very forgiving. It makes pie making less stressful when you know you can just patch up any little mishaps with extra dough!
And because I don’t really enjoy dessert making all that much, I don’t care to spend a bunch of time fussing over every little step. Not only is the crust easy, but the batter just blends up and spreads into the baked pie crust – no cooking! And the whipped topping is as simple as plopping simple and quick homemade whipped cream on top. Looks fancy but it is so easy.
My other reason for really loving this pie is because it is so creamy and rich. It is truly a splurge –and perfect for celebrating anything from a birthday for your loved one to Valentine’s Day.
- 1 baked gluten free pie crust (If you use my recipe, just get the crust into your pie plate, poke some fork holes in the bottom, put some foil with beans into the bottom of the crust to weight it down, and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove the weight and bake another 20ish minutes. Cool completely before filling!)
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 cup organic pure cane POWDERED sugar
- ½ cup whole sour cream
- 3 TB raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup melted chocolate chips (I like using the Enjoy Life brand – just watch the ingredients!)
- 1-2 cups homemade whole whipped cream
- Optional sprinkle of cacao powder to garnish the top
- Blend the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy.
- Add the sour cream, cacao powder, vanilla, and sea salt, and melted chocolate chips and blend through to combine.
- Spread the chocolate batter into the cooled pre-baked pie crust.
- Spread the whipped cream on top and garnish if you choose.
- Refrigerate at least an hour before serving. Great make ahead dish!