Complementing many breakfast dishes, a good sausage recipe is a balance of flavors, one not overpowering the other. Healthy sausage is tough to find in the stores though! Many times it’s full of different fillers, ‘flavors’, and preservatives. Beyond those aspects we have issues with the meat itself and we personally choose to eat mainly grassfed or use the venison my husband gets during hunting season.
So what’s a gal to do?
Well, make your own of course!
A big thanks to Michele at Frugal Granola for being the inspiration behind this recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef, venison, pork-
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp powdered ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- optional – ½ tsp maple syrup
- Preheat pan or griddle over medium heat. Lightly beat the egg into a bowl.
- Add in ground beef and combine together.
- Mix in seasonings.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup and press enough meat mixture in to fill it up. Place onto pan and press flat.
- Let fry for 3-5 minutes on each side, then enjoy!