A cool and creamy treat made with probiotic and nutrient dense ingredients? Is it to good to be true?
This ice cream is made with fresh kefired cream and whole milk, making it rich in probiotics, and slightly tangy, much like real frozen yogurt. You can also reduce the length of fermenting time for your family’s taste buds, starting with 6-8 hours and increasing it each time you make it.
- 1½ cups raw cream
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 3 pastured egg yolks
- ⅛ (or a large pinch) celtic sea salt
- ½ – ¾ cup real maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla OR ½ tsp vanilla and ½ vanilla bean
- Combine cream and milk (you can use all cream if you prefer – I just never get that much with my cow share) and let sit out overnight, or at least 12 hours, with kefir grains. This cultures the dairy and gives it wonderful probiotic properties while also making it easier to digest! In the morning strain out the grains and place into the refrigerator to cool completely.
- About one hour (or more) before making the ice cream, stir the remaining ingredients into the cream mixture. This will make sure everything is nice and cold when it goes into the ice cream maker.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions. (mine takes 30 minutes)