I love to use Italian dressing as marinade on chicken, as well as in a few of my favorite recipes, and I’ve recently started making my own so I can avoid the vegetable oils they put in store-bought products.
Here’s a dry mix we like:
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- ½ tablespoon sugar (something like evaporated cane juice would work well)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Mix all ingredients together and store in a small glass jar. You can also grind it up a bit with a coffee grinder or blender which makes it stay more uniform.
Can also be used as a dressing or marinade by mixing 2 Tbsp of the mix with ¼ cup vinegar, ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil, and 2Tbsp water.