A wonderfully satisfying meal during the chilly fall and winter months, homemade chili can nourish the body and bring the family together. From slightly spicy to 5 alarm chili, this meal is what cooking contests are made of!
Our basic recipe feeds our family well, offering enough spice for the adults but not to warm for the children. If you like a bit more spice, try a hotter pepper than Anaheim, like jalepeno, or sprinkle in some red pepper flakes.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 cups chili/kidney beans (or 3 15oz cans)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Anaheim peppers, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- ⅛ cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- ½ Tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Brown ground beef in large stock pot
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- The longer you simmer, the better it will taste!
Use grassfed beef
Make your own beef broth
Soak the beans overnight in water and an acidic medium to reduce phytic acid