Close your eyes for a minute and think about the morning and breakfast.
What are the first thoughts or words that come to mind?
Busy and rushed? Relaxed and calm? Does your heart race just thinking about the morning *all* you have to get done? Or do you feel confident and controlled?
As silly as it might sound to be so concerned about how the start to your day “feels” – in all reality it really does set the tone for your day. Do you notice that? I know for sure that if I have overslept or gotten a rough start to the day, the rest of my day just feels behind and unorganized.
I am SO protective over my time for breakfast. I am not even kidding. It truly is the most important meal of the day. Just like getting a late start makes the rest of your day feel behind, getting a crummy start to the meals of the day sets your blood sugar up for a rough day.
It never fails that if I start the day with a small, unsubstantial breakfast, or with something super sweet without some balance, I am craving sweet all day long. And if I start the day off with a great, nourishing balanced meal, I tend to just plain eat better for the day.
I also find that getting a good cup of veggies in at breakfast time sets me up for desiring more veggies at the rest of my meals during the day. It is so important for our mineral balance, fiber and carbohydrate intake, among other reasons to get a good 6-9 cups of veggies in a day.
But how do we get this done on the busy days? On the weekdays when we have to be out the door by 7 or 8?
This breakfast sauté is QUICK. In fact I don’t even bother chopping the onion at night to prepare (although you could!), because in the time it takes for the butter to melt in the pan I can have that little onion chopped! The key to making a sauté like this taste amazing is the way it is cooked. Giving the onion some time to sweeten is key – and it only takes a few minutes. The rest of the ingredients throw in so quick to cook!
One thing I love about using spinach is that you don’t have to prep it! I grab a handful from the box and throw it in. I have timed myself the last few mornings I have made this and I have it from cutting board to my plate in 10 minutes.
10 minutes. You have 10 minutes, right? 10 minutes to give your day a kickstart that will keep your cravings at bay. I told you I am protective over my breakfast right? I am so protective that on busy weekday mornings when we have to be out the door early, I get up before everyone else. Yup. I set my alarm earlier. Because if I don’t, this kind of breakfast doesn’t happen. I only set it an extra 15 minutes early…but that extra time means I get breakfast in peace. I get to digest my food and enjoy it – even if it means I eat it in about 5 minutes 😉
Easy breakfast saute
- 2-3 TB friendly fat to cook in (butter, coconut oil, tallow, lard, etc)
- ¼ small onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like more heat!)
- 1 large handful fresh spinach
- 1-2 pastured eggs whisk with a splash or 2 of whole milk or coconut milk (you can leave the milk out if you want too!)
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in the friendly fat for about 5-10 minutes with a pinch of sea salt to bring out their juices and sweeten them.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the red pepper flakes and spinach to wilt in (should only take a minute or two!)
- Add the whisked egg and stir to combine. Keep moving the eggs around until they are done.
- Sea salt and pepper to taste. Add a sprinkle of raw cheese if you want!